• Откройте аккаунт на Диспуте за 5 минут

Продаете недвижимость, машину, телефон, одежду?  Тысячи  просмотров ежедневно на dispute.az  помогут вам. Бесплатная доска обьявлений.

Conversation In English.

2 минуты назад, zvezda vostoka*** сказал:

Hello) the  conversations will not be here? we have to come anywhere?

Hi Dear East Star, you can write here any time you like, but we also organize some meeting, if you wanna participate just write your name in the list, all other information you can find above) 

good day) thnx 4 ur question) nope, it won't take place in this topic, but at certain cafe.

DETAILS

Place of Conversation - Tik Talk cafe   https://www.facebook.com/tiktalkcafe/

Date and Time - on Saturday, at 18:30 (latest).

Payment terms - 6 AZN  -  each participant for 2 hours.

For participants coming first time:

please message your numbers to me either in PM or to my mobile number via Whatsapp\sms: 055 227 07 73

1 минуту назад, FoXSmile сказал:

Hi Dear East Star, you can write here any time you like, but we also organize some meeting, if you wanna participate just write your name in the list, all other information you can find above) 

Dear Nuclear_god,  in order to participate smwhere, the person  should know the participants a little, you know. and its possible only to know each other well here) 

• Upvote 4

4 минуты назад, nuclear_god сказал:

good day) thnx 4 ur question) nope, it won't take place in this topic, but at certain cafe.

DETAILS

Place of Conversation - Tik Talk cafe   https://www.facebook.com/tiktalkcafe/

For participants coming first time:

please message your numbers to me either in PM or to my mobile number via Whatsapp\sms: 055 227 07 73055 227 07 73

good day) thanks so much for your info) 

• Upvote 5

1 минуту назад, zvezda vostoka*** сказал:

Dear Nuclear_god,  in order to participate smwhere, the person  should know the participants a little, you know. and its possible only to know each other well here) 

Sorry but I am not Nuclear God) 

1 минуту назад, nuclear_god сказал:

Fox, is it one of many words in ur list-to-remember?)

No just expression of real feelings ))) 

засучить рукава (серьезно взяться за дело) 
buckle/knuckle down//roll up one's sleeves 
It's high time you knuckled down to some hard study. 
The professor insisted that we knuckle down and get our papers in by Friday.
We buckled down and got on with our work.
You had better roll up your sleeves, Eddie, and give Dad the help you promised. 
затаив дыхание 
with bated breath
The crowd watched with bated breath as the fireman brought the child down the ladder. 
затаить дыхание 
hold one's breath 
It means the world will have to hold its breath as it did with the Cuban missile crisis in 1962. 
затаить обиду 
hold it against smb 
I have apologized for offending you. Please don't continue to hold it against me. 
I was a better athlete than my brother, and he's always held it against me. 
затаить/держать зло 
have it in for
George has it in for Bob because Bob told the teacher that George cheated in the examination.
Ever since he called the police about their dog, the neighbours have had it in for Tom. 
затишье перед бурей 
the calm/quiet before the storm 
The meeting may be peaceful now, but this is only the calm before the storm. 
Things are relatively calm at the moment, but I think it probably is the quiet before the storm. 
заткнуть за пояс//переплюнуть(оставить позади) 
put smb to shame 
Roger Maris put other players to shame when he hit 61 home runs in 1961. 
заткнуть рот к-л (криками заставить замолчать) 
shout down 
The Labour candidate was shouted down by the angry crowd.
Please let me speak, don't shout me down without giving me a fair chance to express my opinion. 

:cheers:

I am curious what are these texts, prepared by Fox, about. Anyway, let us try this method of learning now.

1 hour ago, zvezda vostoka*** said:

Generally in the evenings, i cant. i have to be at hme, as every wife) and on saturdays we have some family plans)

If there are those who desire, it is possible to make a meeting for Sunday also. However, for now the group consists' of 6 persons only :)

1 hour ago, nuclear_god said:

again? Dublin is the capital of nothern ireland and tokio is of japan?)

))
Mogadishu is the capital of Somalia - less known, more valuable.

Edited by Alice~

затмить 
put smb in the shade//outshine 
His piano playing put me and my playing in the shade. Never try to outshine your boss,
even if you believe she or he is less competent than you. 
затронуть/задеть нужную струнку (манипулировать к-л) 
press/push smb's buttons
My mother-in-law really knew how to press my buttons. 
You have to know how to push all the right buttons if you want to be a successful diplomat. 
затюканный//под каблуком/ пятой (у жены) 
henpecked
He never does anything without asking his wife first he's completely henpecked. 
затянуть потуже пояс 
tighten one's belt 
If the economy gets worse, we shall just have to tighten our belts. 
заумный/высоколобый 
arty-farty
I don't go for all this arty-farty talk about the meaning of painting.I just know what I like. 
заумь/китайская грамота 
mumbo-jumbo
There's so much legal mumbo-jumbo in these documents that it's hard to make sense of them. 
захватитьдух//перехватить дыхание (от восхищения, удивления) 
take one's breath away 
The beauty of the Taj Mahal took my breath away. 
захолустье//дыра 
a one-horse town
Grafton's are alone-horse town with only one grocery store and nothing to do in the evening.

Ours was just a one horse town until the nuclear plant was built. 
захудалая/отстойная (пивнушка) 
spit-and-saw dust
There are one or two spit-and-saw dust pubs in the town centre but nothing remotely trendy. 

зацепиться/внедриться (начать работать) 
get a foot in the door
I know it's a good company. I just want to get a foot in the door and with any luck I can work my way up. The only way to get your foot in the door with that company is to know someone who works there. 
зациклиться/помешаться (иметь навязчивую идею) 
be hung upon
For years the FBI was hung upon communist spies. The girl is really hung upon that musician. 
зачахнуть на корню 
wither/die on the vine 
Plans to create cheap housing for the poor seem doomed to wither on the vine. 
зашибать деньгу//"рубить капусту" 
make/turn a fast/quick buck
Times are hard - you have to make a fast buck wherever and however you can.
During the summer season, ice-cream sellers on the sea front turn a quick buck. 
заядлый курильщик 
a chain smoker 
Mr Jones is a chain smoker. 
заяц (безбилетный пассажир) 
a fare-dodger/fare dodger 
With the ticket prices rising what can you do about fare dodgers? 
звезд с неба не хватает//пороха не выдумает 
smb will not set the Thames on fire 
He'll never set the Thames on fire but he'll do quite well at his job. 
звонить во все колокола//кричать на всех углах 
shout smth from the rooftops 
When I discovered I was pregnant, I wanted to shout it from the rooftops. 
звонкая монета (наличные деньги) 
hard cash//cold cash
We gave him half the money in hard cash and wrote a cheque for the rest. Mr Jones bought a new car and paid cold cash for it. 
звякнуть (позвонить по телефону) 
give smb a tinkle // give smb a buzz/jingle
Okay then, I'll give you a tinkle when I get home.
Give him a buzz/jingle after five, he'll be in then. 

здравый смысл 
horse sense
Has he got enough horse sense not to get into debt? 
зевака 
a rubberneck
In London in summer you can't go anywhere without bumping into a crowd of rubbernecks. 
зеленая стоянка 
(make) a pit stop
Clean toilets and a nice place to eat are what drivers are looking for when they make a pit stop. 
зелененькие (доллары)//баксы 
greenbacks //smackers //bucks
He dropped this pack of greenbacks in her lap.
Don't waste your hard-earned smackers like that.
The concert tickets cost 25 bucks each. 
земля обетованная 
the promised land
Her ambition was always to come to England, which she thought of as a promised land. 
зеница ока//свет очей 
be the apple of smb's eye 
His youngest son was the apple of his eye. 
златоуст (искусный оратор) 
a silver-tongued orator
He was a silver-tongued orator who convinced many people to support him. 
злоба дня 
a burning issue 
Entry or non-entry in to the European Common Market was one of the burning issues In British politics in the early 1970s. 
злой как черт/как собака 
be as cross as two sticks//be cross as a bear//be fighting mad//be as mad as a hornet
Her father is as cross as two sticks about what she' s done. 
Stay away from Claire; she' s cross as a bear this morning. 
When Dad finds out you've crashed the car, he will be fighting mad.
He was as mad as a hornet when he heard what she said about him. 
змея подколодная 
a snake in the grass 
Beware of him - he's a real snake in the grass. 

знавать лучшие дни (о поношенной вещи) 
have seen better days 
My coat has seen better days, but it is very warm. 
знать все ходы и выходы// знать что к чему 
know all the answers//know one's way around
Since Sally worked at City Hall for a year, she really knows her way around. 
Helen always knew all the answers, or thought she did. 
знать как облупленного 
know smb through and through / inside out 
She tried to hide her disappointment, but I knew her through and through and I could tell she was upset. 
I know these people in side out they'll love your idea. 
знать как свои пять пальцев (местность) 
know smth like the back of one's hand/palm 
I've driven a taxi in Madrid for years, and know the city like the back of my palm. 
знать как свои пять пальцев (предмет)//собаку съесть на ч-л 
know smth inside out 
Why don't you ask Mike? He knows the system inside out. 
He knows the publishing business inside out. 
знать назубок 
word perfect 
By Friday, when the show is recorded, we are all expected to be word perfect. 
знать правила игры 
know the score
You know the score - no payment until after the article is published. 
знать свое дело 
know one's onions/stuff
I know my onions. I can do my job . 
Patrice knows her stuff when it comes to Mexican history.
знать цену 
have the measure of smb/smth (slightly formal) 
I don't think she's under any illusions about her husband she's got the measure of him. 
знать что почем//тертый калач 
know what's what 
Harry's been in the business for 40 years - he knows what's what. 

золотая жила//золотое дно//курица, несущая золотые яйца 
a gold mine/gold-mine//a money spinner
That clothes shop is an absolute gold mine.
This business could be a gold-mine if it were properly developed. Cookery books are becoming a real money-spinner for the publishing industry. 
золотая молодежь 
gilded youth 
The children of the rich - who used to be called 'our gilded youth' - are less pampered today and more neglected by their parents. 
золотая середина 
the golden mean//a happy medium 
Trollope's hero and anti-hero personify the excess of virtue and the excess of vice which in his 
philosophy threatens the British golden mean.
You can surely find some happy medium between starving yourself and overeating. 
золотое правило 
the golden rule 
Tell him not to be impatient. That's the golden rule in politics. 
золотое сердце 
a heart of gold 
She'll do anything for anyone - she's got a heart of gold. 
золотой ребёнок 
be as good as gold
Mary is as good as gold most of the time. 
зондировать/прощупывать почву 
see how the land lies//sound out (on/about) 
I thought I'd better call my mother and see how the land lies before going home for the weekend. 
Alfred sounded out his boss about a day off from his job. Let's sound out the staff before we decide which week we should close for vacation. 
зубрить 
bone up (on)//swot up (on) // cram smth
I'll have to bone up on my Spanish if I'm to pass the language requirement.
Carl was boning up for an examination.
I've got to swot up on French verbs for tomorrow's test. He can't come out tonight, he's cramming for his exam tomorrow. 
зубы заговаривать (уговаривать) 
sweet-talk smb
I didn't want to help her, but she sweet-talked me into it

43 минуты назад, Motobaz сказал:

Thank you, eva_j! Do you know the topic for this conversation? What do we must prepare?

23 часа назад, economist_med сказал:

Good afternoon, mates:

Our suggestion for Saturday conversation:

1. We bring short texts, read it in the conversation. 2. Each group member asks one questions abut the text. 3. He\she says his\her opinion about the text and then gives us some information while using the words in the text. 4. We have an academic test  - interesting one, mixed with grammar and words. 5. At the end we will watch short fragments from movies or play word game.

What are your proposals?

texts will have eco_med, we will read unknown text and etc look upper

or if it difficult for smbd

В 27.01.2016в17:56, economist_med сказал:

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen!

I suggest some topics for discussion:

1. What is your favorite season?

2.  Text:

While I was on a vacation last week, I decided to visit some restaurants to try some of the local cuisine; however, I didn't have a clue about the types of restaurants available, so I checked an online restaurant guide to give me some ideas and tips. Mainly, I was interested in seafood restaurants, so I searched for restaurants within a reasonable walking distance from my hotel, and I found seven of them. Next, I reviewed the online menus of the places to check the dishes they prepared and the average cost of a meal. However, price is not my first consideration; I enjoy a restaurant that has a wide selection from which to choose. Next, a restaurant's decor can always add to the dining experience (background music, decorations and wall hangings, seats and tables, etc.). If I'm going to a Mexican restaurant, I would expect to see the restaurant decorated in the Mexican flavor. Finally, I always consult restaurant reviews to find out what other people thought about the restaurant and their experiences. What was the quality of the food ? Did the server provide fast and friendly service? Doing some research before you go can make dining a more pleasurable and predictable experience.

Now, question:

What types of restaurants do you like to visit? Do you have a particular restaurant you go to regularly? If so, explain your reasons.

You can add or suggest other topics as well.

Looking forward to get your feedback)

Good afternoon, Motobaz! Welcome back)

We can write these 2 topics in short text and tell about them. In addition to that, we will have some extra texts, that none of the participants know beforehand. We will share them during the conversation, so, you will get new text, new information and new words.

Dear Friends, reminder:

Place of Conversation - Tik Talk cafe   https://www.facebook.com/tiktalkcafe/

For participants coming first time: please message your numbers to me either in PM or to my mobile number via Whatsapp\sms: 055 227 07 73

1. Economist_med
2. nuclear_god

3. Eva_J

4. Alice

5. Middleman

6. FoXSmile

7.Motobaz

8.?

5 минут назад, Motobaz сказал:

As I understand we must write 2 topic, one about favorite season, other about restaurant. Am I right? 

not exactly)))

do not to write, just preparing youself, and while conversation to tell us smth about it

but when you will come i 'll thing that you join our plan))

Edited by eva_j

The child and his mother:

A curious child asked his mother: “Mommy, why are some of your hairs turning grey?”

The mother tried to use this occasion to teach her child: “It is because of you, dear. Every bad action of yours will turn one of my hairs grey!”

The child replied innocently: “Now I know why grandmother has only grey hairs on her head.”:biggrin: